Caliban is a main male character in Showtime TV show Penny Dreadful. He is played by actor Rory Kinnear.
Caliban, or The Creature as he is often called, is the first humanoid monster created by Dr. Victor Frankenstein. His unusual birth left him tortured and anguished, leaving him a lonely and misunderstood outcast. For his pain, he furious with his “father”.
Caliban’s Episode Appearances
- Episode 1 – no appearance
- Episode 2 -Caliban brutally kills Proteus by tearing him apart. He then tells Frankenstein that his “first born” has returned.
- Episode 3 – We see Caliban’s “birth” and abandonment by Victor. After Victor left him for dead, Caliban lived on the streets of London. He was regularly beaten and abused because of his disfigurements. Eventually, an old actor took pity on The Creature, and brought him to a theater where he could work as a stage hand. It was there he got the name “Caliban”. Caliban explains that he has returned to Victor because he wants Victor to create a bride for him.
- Episode 4 – Caliban waits for Victor outside Van Helsing’s office and threatens to hurt him is Victor does not make him a bride. Later that night he works as a stage hand for the play that Vanessa, Dorian, Ethan, and Brona go to see.
- Episode 5 – No Appearance
- Episode 6 – Caliban kills Van Helsing and threatens Victor.
- Episode 7 – Caliban stalks Sir Malcolm’s house.
Read More: Penny Dreadful Season 1 Episode 1 Recap